What is a Bookmarklet?
A Bookmarklet is a handy tool that allows you to do something with the website that is open in your web browser. Unlike a typical “bookmark” or “favorite”, a bookmarklet does not send you to a different website, but instead performs an action on the current page. When you use the Pocket Bookmarklet, the page that is displayed is saved to Pocket for you automatically.
How do I install the Bookmarklet on my iPhone or iPod touch on iOS 7?
Installing the Pocket Bookmarklet on your iPhone or iPod touch can be a little tricky, so we ask that you follow along with these instructions very carefully.
Part One: Setup
- Open the Pocket app on your device
- Tap the menu button at the top left corner of the screen, scroll down, and tap Help
- Tap How to Save
- Find the “From Mobile Safari” section, and tap Install
This final step in Part One will launch Mobile Safari with some additional installation instructions. Please read the introduction, and tap “Let’s do it” to continue.
Part Two: Creating the Bookmarklet
- Tap the Share Icon
- Tap Bookmark
- Choose the Location where you will be saving the bookmarklet. We suggest choosing the Favorites folder, as this will make the bookmarklet easy to find.
- Tap Save
Part Three: Editing the Bookmarklet
- Open your Bookmarks, and go to the same Favorites folder mentioned in Step 3 above.
- Tap Edit
- Find the bookmark that you saved in Part Two, called Save to Pocket, and select it.
- Tap in the Address field (the URL below "Save to Pocket"), and clear it by tapping the X
- Now that the Address field is empty, tap on the word Address, and tap Paste (Note: we have copied the required code for you automatically. Tapping “Paste” will insert the proper code into the field.)
- Tap Done three times: Twice at the lower right corner, and once at the top right corner.
That's it! The bookmarklet is installed. Please read on to learn how to save using the Pocket Bookmarklet.
How do I use the Bookmarklet on my iPhone or iPod touch?
You can use the Pocket Bookmarklet to save any open web page in your browser. Just follow these instructions:
- Open Safari, and go to a page you'd like to save
- Open your bookmarks by tapping on the book icon along the bottom
- Make sure you are in your Favorites folder, and tap Save to Pocket. A notification will appear at the top of the web page, indicating that the page has been saved.
- Optional: Tap the Add Tags button to assign tags to the newly saved page
Installing the Bookmarklet on iOS 6
This video demonstrates how to install the Pocket Bookmarklet on iOS 6.