What is a Bookmarklet?
A Bookmarklet is a handy tool that allows you to do something with the website that is open in your web browser. Unlike a typical “bookmark” or “favorite”, a bookmarklet does not send you to a different website, but instead performs an action on the current page. When you use the Pocket Bookmarklet, the page that is displayed is saved to Pocket for you automatically.
How do I install the Bookmarklet on my iPhone or iPod touch?
Installing the Pocket Bookmarklet on your iPhone or iPod touch can be a little tricky, so we ask that you follow along to this tutorial video very carefully. You will find the installation instructions written in detail below the video.
Part One: Setup
- Open the Pocket app on your device
- Tap the Pocket menu button at the top of the screen, and tap Help
- Tap How to Save
- Find the “From Mobile Safari” section, and tap Install
This final step in Part One will launch Mobile Safari with some additional installation instructions. Please read the introduction, and tap “Let’s do it” to continue.
Part Two: Creating the Bookmarklet
- Tap the Share Icon
- Tap Bookmark
- Tap Save
For this step, please ensure that you are saving the Bookmarklet in the Bookmarks folder. This is the most convenient location for saving.
Part Three: Editing the Bookmarklet
- Open your Bookmarks, and make sure "Bookmarks" is shown at the top
- Tap Edit
- Tap Save to Pocket
- Tap in the Address field, and clear it by tapping the X
- Tap once more in the now-empty Address field, and tap Paste (Note: we have copied the required code for you automatically. Tapping “Paste” will insert the proper code into the field.)
- Tap Done, Done and Done.
How do I use the Bookmarklet on my iPhone or iPod touch?
After the bookmarklet has been installed, you can use it to save any open web page by following these instructions:
- Go to a page in Safari
- Open your bookmarks
- Tap Save to Pocket - You will see a notification appear at the top of the web page, indicating that the page has been saved.
- Optional: Tap the Add Tags button to assign tags to the newly saved page