Using the Save to Pocket Extension for Safari
Pocket’s Safari browser extension is the easiest, fastest way to capture articles, videos, and anything else you find online. With one click, the content you’ve collected appears across all your devices in a clean, distraction-free space—there to read whenever you’re ready, whether at home, at work, or on the go.
Continue reading to learn how to set up and use Save to Pocket for Safari on your Mac.
Installing Pocket for Safari
The Save to Pocket extension is available as an app in the Mac App Store. Once downloaded, setting up the extension is easy:
- Click here to download Save to Pocket in the Mac App Store
- Open the Save to Pocket app that you just downloaded
- Click Finish Setup – this will open to the Extensions tab of the Safari Preferences window
- Check the box next to Save to Pocket. The Pocket button will be added to your Safari toolbar.
Saving pages with the Pocket extension
When you're viewing a page that you'd like to save to Pocket, just click the Pocket toolbar button. You can also save links in a page by right-clicking on them and selecting Save to Pocket.
The Pocket save confirmation will appear after saving a page. In it, you have the option to take additional actions or add tags. Otherwise, it’ll just disappear automatically.
To add Tags, type tag names into the text box and press Enter. Your tag will be saved automatically. You can also keep typing to add additional tags.
If you're looking for an easier way to Tag, Pocket Premium includes Suggested Tags, which appear automatically after saving and can be added to your saved page with a single click. Click here to learn more about Suggested Tags in Pocket Premium
Additional actions you can take on an item are available when hovering your mouse over the ●●● button, including:
- Archive Page: Some users enjoy saving articles to Pocket after they’ve read them so they can be referenced again in the future. If this sounds useful, just click Archive Page after saving.
- Remove Page: If you saved a page by mistake, you can undo it. Simply click Remove Page after the accidental save.
- View your List: You can also go directly to your List after saving an item. Click Open My List in this menu to do just that.
Managing or Removing the Pocket extension
You can enable or disable the Save to Pocket extension in Preferences. Here’s how to find it:
- Open Safari
- Go to the Safari menu at the top left corner of your screen, and select Preferences
- Click the Extensions tab
Here, you can uncheck the Save to Pocket extension to disable it. Or, if you’d rather remove the extension from your computer, click the Uninstall button to open the app in Finder so you can move the application to your Trash.