Trouble saving to Pocket in Firefox - Stuck in a "loop"
The new Pocket integration in Firefox may have trouble if you are using increased Privacy settings.
If you are having trouble saving to Pocket, or find that you are stuck in a “loop” when going through our tutorial after signing up, please continue reading to learn what you can do to start using Pocket in Firefox.
Add an Exception for Pocket in Firefox Privacy Settings
Pocket relies on “cookies” to keep you logged in and to save pages to your Pocket account. If your Firefox Privacy settings are set to “Never remember history”, Pocket will ask you to log in each time you try to save to Pocket.
The easiest way fix this issue is to relax your Privacy settings:
- Go into Firefox Preferences, and select Privacy & Security
- In the History section, select Use Custom Settings For History
- Uncheck Always use private browsing mode
- [Optional] Uncheck any other privacy options that you prefer not to use
- Click the Exceptions button
- Enter https://getpocket.com in Address of Website field, and click the Allow button. Then, click Save Changes
After making these changes, please try again to save to Pocket.
Preserve Cookies When Firefox Closes
If you have set Firefox to clear your history when Firefox closes, Pocket will require that you log in each time you re-launch Firefox and try to save pages. If you configure Firefox to preserve cookies, you’ll remain logged into Pocket. Here’s how:
- Go into Firefox preferences and select Privacy & Security
- If you have Clear History When Firefox Closes enabled, click Settings
- Uncheck Cookies
After changing this setting, please try again to save to Pocket.
Note: You can learn more about your Privacy options in by clicking here: Mozilla Support: Settings for privacy, browsing history and do-not-track
Manually Save to Pocket with the + Button
If you prefer to not adjust your privacy settings, you can still use Pocket and save links directly to your list as an alternative to using the Pocket toolbar button.
You can click the + button in the top toolbar of the Pocket website, or save using a special page. Please click the link below to learn how to save directly to your list.
If you find that you're still stuck in the tutorial "loop", here's how to get out of it:
- Save a something to Pocket by visiting this link in Firefox: https://getpocket.com/edit?url=http://ideas.ted.com/how-to-turn-small-talk-into-smart-conversation/?utmsource=pocket&utmcampaign=fftutorial
- Return to Pocket to access the item you saved, and then click the link above to learn how to save additional links.
I'm still having trouble. What's next?
If you are still having trouble saving to Pocket in Firefox, please contact Pocket Support and let us know about your experiences.