Importing your links into Pocket
Pocket has created several tools that you can use to import content that you’ve bookmarked or saved elsewhere into Pocket.
Generally, you will first need to export the items from the source (For example Instapaper, browser bookmarks, etc.), and then you’ll be ready to import them into Pocket. Your import file must be in HTML format.
While Pocket has the ability to import your items, we discourage importing thousands of items as this can cause issues to arise during the import process. If your exported file is larger than 2mb, we encourage you to reach out to Pocket Support so we can help make sure your import is successful.
In This Article
Please note: Importing your browser bookmarks is not always recommended, as this can easily add clutter to your Pocket list. Instead, we recommend limiting your Pocket to hand-picked articles, videos, and news stories you discover throughout the day.
To start you will need to export your bookmarks from your computer browser. Open your browser's bookmark manager and export your bookmarks as an HTML file. If you're not sure how to do this, please follow the directions below to export bookmarks from the most popular browsers.
Export your bookmarks from Google Chrome
- Open Chrome.
- In the top right of the Chrome window, click the overflow button (three vertical dots)
- Select Bookmarks > Bookmark Manager.
- In the manager, click the Organize ▾ menu.
- Select Export bookmarks.
- Choose a name for the file and location to download. Click Save.
Chrome will export your bookmarks as an HTML file, which you can then import into another browser. Click here for more information about exporting from Chrome.
Export your bookmarks from Firefox
- Click the Bookmarks button and select Show All Bookmarks to open the Library window.
- From the toolbar on the Library window, click Import and Backup and choose Export Bookmarks to HTML....
- In the Export Bookmarks File window that opens, choose a name and location to save the file. Then, click Save.
Your bookmarks are now successfully exported from Firefox. The bookmarks HTML file you saved is now ready to be imported into another web browser. Click here for more information about exporting from Firefox.
Export your bookmarks from Safari
- Open File Menu in your Menu Bar at the top of your screen.
- Click Export Bookmarks....
- Choose a name for the file and location to download the bookmarks file and click Save.
The bookmarks HTML file you saved from Safari is now ready to be imported.
After downloading your browser bookmarks file to your computer, you are ready to import your bookmarks into Pocket.
Click here to visit the Pocket Bookmarks Importer to import your items to Pocket.
First you will need to export your items from Instapaper. To export:
- Log into your Instapaper Account
- Click your email address at the top right corner, and select Settings.
- In the Export section, click the Download .HTML button and save the file to your computer.
Once you have your exported file, you are ready to import into Pocket. To import the articles, log into Pocket, then follow the instructions on this page: Import from Instapaper into Pocket
1. I'm trying to import to Pocket but I’m seeing a blank page.
Our importer will occasionally time out due to the size of an exported files. This will cause the screen to go blank. However, items should be successfully imported. Please check your Pocket List to see if your items were imported.
If your export is over 2mb, we encourage you to split it into smaller files. If you need any help with this, please contact support.
2. I have two Pocket accounts. Can I import one Pocket account into another account?
We sadly do not support importing information from one Pocket account into another. However, the Pocket Support team are happy to help you merge your accounts. Please click here to find out what we’ll need to get this started for you.