Using the Pocket New Tab Extension in Chrome
On September 5, 2017, Google Chrome 61 was released and it removed Pocket's Trending Stories from the default new tab page. Pocket built this extension so we can continue sharing these stories whenever you open a new tab, and to pave the way for future new tab functionality. Please be sure to add the Pocket New Tab extension to Chrome today so you don’t miss out!
You might already be familiar with Trending Stories on your default New Tab page in Chrome. We’ve moved them to this new extension to make sure that you can continue to enjoy them after some upcoming changes to Chrome.
Customizing Pocket New Tab
- Dark Theme: Invert the colors of your new tab with light text on a dark background.
- Bookmarks Bar: See your Bookmarks Bar at the top of every new tab for quick access.
- Search Bar: Perform a Google search or navigate to a URL directly.
- Most Visited Sites: Quick links to your most frequently visited sites in Chrome
- Trending Stories from Pocket: Trending Stories are curated by over 25 million people who use Pocket to save and discover stories that are meaningful and worth their time.
To customize your New Tab, simply move your mouse to the gear button at the top right corner and make your selection.
A note about privacy with Bookmarks Bar, Most Visited Sites, and Search
- When you enable the Bookmarks Bar, Pocket New Tab will request permission to "Read and change your bookmarks." We use this permission to display your Bookmarks Bar across the top of your New Tab page. We
- When you enable Most Visited Sites, Pocket New Tab will request permission to access your frequently visited sites in your browser. It does this in order to display the Most Visited Sites section in your New Tab.
- Performing Searches in Pocket New tab will either perform a Google search, or visit a site directly if you enter a URL.
Information about your bookmarks, frequently visited websites, or searches you perform is not tracked by this extension, and not sent to Pocket or shared with anyone.
I installed Pocket New Tab but it doesn’t appear when I open a new browser tab. What’s wrong?
Why am I seeing two Pocket buttons in my Chrome Toolbar?