Highlighting in Pocket
Highlighting while reading has enormous benefits. It helps you engage more deeply with the text, comprehend dense subjects, and easily revisit key passages in the future.
Highlighting is both a Free and Premium feature
- For free Pocket accounts, you can create up to 3 highlights per article.
- For accounts subscribed to Pocket Premium, you can create an unlimited number of highlights.
Creating a Highlight
Creating a highlight is as simple as selecting text in Article View. When you highlight a passage, the text background will turn yellow so it stands out from the rest of the article.
- Hold your finger (or click) on a word that you’d like to include in the highlight
- Expand the selection to include the entire passage
- Tap or click the Highlight button
Viewing, Sharing, and Deleting your Highlights
When you tap on a highlight in an article, it takes you to the Highlights page, where you can see all of your highlights from the same article in one place. From here, you can take further action on your highlighted passages, including:
- Recommend: Recommend the article on Pocket where you can add a comment and cross-post to Twitter and Facebook
- Share: Share the highlight to other apps like Evernote or Google Keep
- Delete: Remove the highlight from the article
Filtering your List by Highlighted Articles
When you’re viewing your List, you can apply the Highlights filter to see all of your highlights across all of your articles in one place. From here, you can perform the same actions as when you tap a highlight within an article: Recommend, Share, or Delete.
To locate the Highlights Filter on iOS :
- Go to your List
- Tap the home button in the menu at the bottom of the screen
- Select highlights
On Android, swipe across the menu below List and Archive and tap Filter, then tap the Highlighted articles option:
On Pocket's website, you can find the Highlights filter in the side menu:
Why don't I see the option to highlight when I select text?
There could be a couple of reasons why you don't see the option to highlight text in Pocket:
- Highlighting is available in Pocket's apps for iOS, Android and Web. Other platforms and integrations do not have highlighting at this time.
- Highlighting is available in Article View. If you're viewing an item in Web View, switch to Article View and you'll see the option to highlight selected text.