Getting Started with Pocket on your Computer
Welcome -- we’re so thrilled that you’ve signed up for Pocket!
This “Getting Started” article serves as a hub for information about Pocket for Web. It provides a basic introduction and also contains links to other useful Help pages.
Logging in to Pocket on your Computer
To log into Pocket, just enter your email address and password. Or, if you signed up with Google or Firefox, you can simply click the Sign In with Google or Sign In With Firefox button.
If you are having trouble logging into Pocket, here’s what you can do:
Viewing your Pocket on your Computer
When you’re on your computer, you can always view your Pocket by visiting our website.
Be sure to bookmark or favorite this page in your browser so that you can easily return to Pocket again and again.
In addition to visiting Pocket’s website, Pocket also has an app available for your computer for Mac users. Pocket for Mac allows viewing your list while offline. Click here to learn more about Pocket for Mac.
Getting Oriented with Pocket on your Computer
At the top, you can navigate to Home, your Discover Feed and Explore.
Home is where you view your List. When you log on to Pocket for Web, you’ll see the Home page by default. Visit Discover to see what’s trending in the Pocket community, and follow your friends on Pocket to see the stories they’re Recommending as well. Click here to learn more about the Recommendations in the Discover tab.
Use Explore to find articles about specific topics, see what’s trending on Pocket, or view articles shared in Pocket Hits emails.
What’s in the Toolbar?
When you visit Pocket in your browser, your List of saved items are displayed. The toolbar at the top allows you to search, customize the layout, view items that have been shared with you, and more.
- Search - Type in keywords to look for items in your List and Archive. Click here to learn more about searching in Pocket.
- Save a link - Type or paste a link to save it to your list.
- Bulk Edit - Bulk Edit helps you perform actions on groups of items at once. These actions include: Archive, Favorite, Tag, and Delete. Click here to learn more about using Bulk Edit in Pocket.
- Send to Friend - When someone share items with you using Send to Friend, they will appear here. Click here to learn more about Send to Friend.
- Account Menu - Use the Account Menu to upgrade to Pocket Premium, change the app background color, switch between List and Tile View, and change your Options. You can also log out of Pocket from this menu. Continue reading to learn more about the Account menu.
Adjusting Tile and List View, Background Color, and Sort Order
Click on your profile photo to view the Account Menu.
The Account menu has the following display customization options:
- Background Color - choose between white, black or sepia
- Sort Order - Click the button on the bottom-left side to change your sort order between Newest First and Oldest First.
- Tile View and List View - Click the button on the bottom-right to toggle between Tile View and List View.
The Filters Menu
In the sidebar, you can click to switch between My List, Archive, and Filters. The Filter that you’re currently using will be highlighted in teal.
- My List - When you save an item to Pocket, it will appear in your List. The List is sorted from newest to oldest by default, but you can reverse the order in Settings.
- Archive - The Archive is a great place to keep items that you may want to revisit in the future. Click here to learn more about the Archive.
- Favorites - You can mark any important item as a Favorite. The favorites list includes items from both your List and Archive.
- Highlights - All of the highlights you create will be listed here. Tap on a highlight to open the article it comes from. Click here to learn more about highlighting in Pocket.
- Tags - Tags make a great way to organize items in Pocket. Selecting a tag from the Tags menu will filter your List to only show items with that particular tag. Click here to learn more about using Tags.
- Content Filters - There are two ways to filter your List: Articles and Videos. Each will show that particular type of content and hide the rest.
Pocket supports many keyboard shortcuts to make it easy to use Pocket for Web with your keyboard. Click here to learn more about keyboard shortcuts in Pocket for Web.