Getting Started with Pocket for Android
Welcome! This “Getting Started” article serves as a hub for information about Pocket for Android. It provides a basic introduction and also contains links to other useful Help pages.
Installing Pocket on Android
Pocket is a free app and is easy to install. Follow this link to view Pocket on the Google Play Store or click here to install directly from our website.
Viewing saved items saved to your Pocket
Working with Items in your List
Switch between My List and Archive at the top of the screen. Tap the overflow button (three vertical dots) on any item to open it and access the following actions: tag, mark as viewed or not viewed, archive or delete.
Opening Saved Items
When you open items in Pocket, they will open in Article View or Web View. Article View is Pocket’s signature reading mode, which strips out ads, sidebars, and other distracting content so you can read comfortably. You can also adjust your reading background and font, and even highlight passages that you want to remember.
Web View allows you to open items and see them in their original format, as they appear if you opened them in a web browser.
What’s in the menu?
Swipe across the menu at the top of the screen (below My List and Archive) to access:
- Search - search your List or Archive for items you've saved
- Listen - have your saved article read out loud. Click here to learn more about listen
- Favorites - You can mark any important item as a Favorite. The favorites list includes items from both your List and Archive. You can view your Favorites when you’re online.
- Bulk Edit - make changes to multiple items in your List at once
- Tagged items - Tags make a great way to organize items in Pocket. Selecting a tag from the Tags menu will filter your List to only show items with that particular Tag. Click here to learn more about using Tags.
Tap Filter to re-sort and view the following items in your List or Archive:
- Sort by items viewed or not viewed
- Sort by articles you've highlighted
- See newest and oldest saved items
- See the shortest or longest items first
Searching Your Saves
Tap the Search button to search for items you’ve saved in Pocket. All users can search for saved pages by their title and URL.
Pocket Premium subscribers have access to a host of additional searching options, including the ability to search through article text, access to advanced search operators, and searching by Tag, Author, Keyword and more.
Find great stories with Discover
Tap the compass button to open the Discover tab. In addition to saving pages to your Pocket account, you can visit Discover to see what’s trending in the Pocket community. You can follow your friends on Pocket to see the stories they’re Recommending publicly as well.
See Recent Activity
The Activity tab displays updates from your friends and people you follow on Pocket.
View your Profile
When you Recommend an article or video in Pocket, it will appear on your Profile, which can be seen by people who follow you. Sharing to your public Profile is optional, and your List is and will always remain private.