Getting Started with Pocket for Android
This “Getting Started” article serves as a hub for information about Pocket for Android. It provides a basic introduction and also contains links to other useful Help pages.
Installing Pocket on your Android Device
Signing Up for Pocket on Android
If you’ve never used Pocket before, you’ll need to create an account. Open the app, then tap Sign up with Email.
You can also click the Sign Up with Google button if you’d like to use your Google credentials to create your Pocket account. Click here to learn more about using Google Sign On.
Logging in to Pocket for Android
If you already have a Pocket account, just enter your email address and password to log in. Or, if you signed up with Google, simply click the Sign In with Google button.
If you are having trouble logging into Pocket, here’s what you can do:
Getting Oriented with Pocket for Android
Tap any item in your List to open it, or long-press any item to show the item Actions. They make it easy to Tag, Archive, Favorite, Delete, and Share any item.
What’s in the Menu?
The Pocket Menu
When you open up Pocket for Android, your List of saved items is displayed. The Pocket menu allows you to navigate other areas of Pocket. Tap the menu button at top left to reveal the menu.
- Highlights - The Highlights feature creates automatic categories containing the best and most popular items you’ve saved to your List. Highlights appears once there are enough items saved to your List. If Highlights is empty for you, just continue saving items and it will appear soon. Click here to learn more about Highlights.
- Content Filters - There are three ways to filter your List: Articles, Videos, and Images. Each will show that particular type of content and hide the rest.
- Shared to Me - This section lists items that have been shared with you using Pocket’s Send to Friend feature. Click here to learn more about Send to Friend.
- Tags - Tags make a great way to organize items in Pocket. Selecting a tag from the Tags menu will filter your List to only show items with that particular tag.
- Favorites - You can mark any important item as a Favorite. The favorites list includes items from both your List and Archive. You can view your Favorites when you’re online.
- Archive - The Archive is a great place to keep items that you may want to revisit in the future. You can view your Archive when you’re online.
- Premium - Pocket Premium includes Full-Text Search, Suggested Tags, and a Permanent Archive of everything you save. This section contains more information on these features and enables you to purchase a Pocket Premium subscription. Click here to learn more about Pocket Premium.
The Overflow Menu
The Overflow Menu
Pocket’s overflow menu (three vertical dota located beside the Search button) contains important additional functions.
- Bulk Edit - This function allows you to make changes to groups of items at once.
- Refresh - Tap here to update your List and check any recent changes that haven’t yet shown up.
- Settings - Settings enables you to customize Pocket for Android. You can also go here to log out of Pocket.
- Help - A great place to learn more about how to use Pocket for Android.
- Saving to Pocket on Android
- Viewing your Saved Items in Pocket for Android
- Tagging in Pocket for Android
- Bulk Editing in Pocket for Android
- Sharing from Pocket for Android
- Using Pocket Offline in Android
- Searching in Pocket for Android