Getting Started with Pocket for iOS Beta
Interested in Pocket's iOS Beta? Please carefully review this important information before getting started.
This page is for Pocket users who are interested in helping test early versions of Pocket for iOS.
Please note that the beta is not for everyone - it won’t have the same level of polish you’ve come to expect from Pocket. Some key differences in the beta experience include:
- Missing or incomplete features
- Unstable app performance such as potential crashes
- Miscellaneous issues common in beta experiences
Finally, you must be signed in to an email account in the iOS Mail app to send feedback. Click here to learn how to set up an email account in the Mail app.
If you need a reliable Pocket experience, we recommend sticking with the official version that’s available in the App Store.
Continue reading to learn how to join the Pocket iOS beta, how to send feedback, and how to stop testing the beta app.
Installing Pocket for iOS Beta
We use TestFlight in order to manage our beta builds. Here’s how to install the beta:
- Install the free TestFlight app from the App Store
- Visit the Pocket for iOS Beta signup page, and tap Start Testing. The TestFlight app will open.
- Tap Accept to accept the Terms of Service, and the tap Install.
- (Optional) To install Pocket Beta on additional iOS devices, simply download TestFlight and log in using your Apple ID. Pocket will listed here and available for download. You do not need to re-use the original TestFlight invite email.
Not sure which version you have installed? Pocket for iOS Beta from TestFlight will have an orange dot in front of the app name.
Note: TestFlight builds expire after 90 days of being released. Please be sure to install beta updates whenever they’re released (approximately every 14 days) to avoid any issues. For more information about testing apps with TestFlight, click here.
If automatic updates are disabled on your device, here's how to access the latest beta release:
- Open TestFlight
- Click “Update” for the app version 8.0 (17114).
- If you aren't on Wifi, click “Download”.
- Open your Pocket Beta app and continue testing.
How to send feedback and report issues
Note: Please do not send feedback to our support channels. Additionally, missing features are expected as we continually update the beta app, so no need to report these to our team.
You'll need to be signed in to an email account in the iOS Mail app to send feedback. Click here to learn how to set up an email account the Mail app.
You can send beta feedback via taking a screenshot in the beta app or by emailing within TestFlight.
Send feedback via screenshot
- Take a screenshot while the app is open
- Tap on the screenshot thumbnail that appears in the bottom corner of your screen
- Tap Done
- In the menu that appears, select Share Beta Feedback
(Note: if you don't see the option to send beta feed
Send feedback via the TestFlight app:
- Open TestFlight and navigate to Pocket
- Look for Send Beta Feedback below the What to Test notes. You'll be prompted to choose whether to send a screenshot along with your report.
Customizing your notifications
When Pocket releases a new beta version, you may be notified via email and/or push notification on your iOS device.
You can control these notifications in TestFlight:
- Open TestFlight on your iPhone or iPad
- Select Pocket
- Tap Notifications
How to stop testing Pocket for iOS Beta
If you would like to stop testing Pocket for iOS Beta and switch back to the App Store version, here’s how:
- Open TestFlight, select Pocket, and tap Stop Testing
- Visit Pocket in the iOS App Store and tap to install