Installing the Pocket Bookmarklet on iPad
A Bookmarklet is a handy tool that allows you to do something with the website that is open in your web browser. Unlike a typical “bookmark” or “favorite,” a bookmarklet does not send you to a different website, but instead performs an action on the current page. When you use the Pocket Bookmarklet, the page that is displayed is saved to Pocket for you automatically.
A note about iOS 8
The Pocket share option in iOS 8 makes it easy to save to Pocket from any app that uses the native share menu. It's recommended that all users update to iOS 8 if possible and use the Pocket share option to save form Safari, Google Chrome, and other popular apps.
How do I install the bookmarklet on my iPad on iOS 7?
Installing the Pocket bookmarklet on your iPad can be a little tricky, so we ask that you follow along with these instructions very carefully.
Part One: Setup
- Open the Pocket app on your device
- Tap the menu button at the top left corner of the screen, then tap Help
- Tap How to Save
- Find the “From Mobile Safari” section, and tap Install
This final step in Part One will launch Mobile Safari with some additional installation instructions. Please read the introduction, and tap “Get Started” to continue.
Part Two: Creating the Bookmarklet
- Tap the Share Icon
- Tap Bookmark
- Choose the Location where you will be saving the bookmarklet. We suggest choosing the Favorites folder, as this will make the bookmarklet easy to find.
- Tap Save
Part Three: Editing the Bookmarklet
- Open your Bookmarks by tapping the Bookmarks icon
- Go to the Favorites folder mentioned in Step 3 above.
- Tap Edit
- Tap the Save to Pocket bookmark that you created in Part Two, above.
- Tap in the Address field (the line that starts with 'https://'), then clear it by tapping the .
- Tap in the Address field again, and tap Paste. (Note: we have copied the required code for you automatically. Tapping “Paste” will insert the proper code into the field.)
- Tap Done twice: Once in the keyboard, and once at the lower right corner of the Bookmarks popup.
That's it! The bookmarklet is installed. Please read on to learn how to save using the Pocket Bookmarklet.
How do I save pages with the bookmarklet on my iPad on iOS 7?
After the bookmarklet has been installed, you can use it to save any open web page by following these instructions:
- Open Safari, and go to a page you'd like to save
- Open your bookmarks by tapping on the book icon in the top toolbar
- Make sure you are in your Favorites folder, and tap Save to Pocket.
- A notification will appear at the top of the web page, indicating that it has been saved.
- Optional: Tap the Add Tags button to assign tags to the newly saved page.
Installing the Pocket Bookmarklet on iOS 6
This video demonstrates how to install the Pocket Bookmarklet on iOS 6. Please note that, while the video shows instructions for iPhone, they are almost identical to iPad, with the difference that the Bookmark and Share buttons will be found in the top toolbar, rather than the bottom.